The last year has been a Big One: the LUL story has taken some unexpected (but exciting) turns, welcomed some new main characters, and seen us embark upon a whole new chapter with our mentoring. Our major plot points have included:
- Field trips involving an architectural tour of Edinburgh (designed and led by one of our mentees), a chat with former Scotland Rugby team member Ross Rennie and a one-on-one tutorial with Edinburgh College of Art’s Film & TV department.
- Growing our team from 4 to 6, with the arrival of two new mentors, Lisa and Mark
- Joining the community at Castlebrae Community High School (they deserve us using the word twice)
- The departure of one of our first ever mentees for an exchange year in China (good luck, Aspen!)
- Renewing our programme at Lasswade High School, bringing the number of Light Up Learners (or mentees) from 12 to 19.
- Our director Richard taking on Foxlake’s water-based assault course (pictures can’t do it justice).
- The graduation of our first group of Light Up Learners, after 3 and a half years with their mentors: a proud and inspiring moment for all of us (see picture above - more to come on this).
- An enormous amount of learning and LULs (geddit?) along the way.
And that’s just the stuff that made it to the page*.
One change to our team is the addition of Erin, our new Culture and Community Manager: she’ll be regularly collecting LUL stories to share here, so let us know if you have one to tell (or there’s something you want to hear about). You can also sign up to our quarterly newsletter (quality not quantity, we reckon), or join the conversation over on Twitter: here’s to the next 12 months.
*we won’t bore you with the tales of our epic wrestling bouts with the legendary monster that is GDPR